The Plattsburgh YMCA offers lifeguard training certification in conjunction with the American Red Cross.
Throughout the course, our instructors will teach you the skills for lifeguarding. All applicants must complete prerequisites in order to participate in the course. After successfully completing the course, graduates will have the following certifications:
- Waterfront Lifeguarding
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- All participants must be 15 years old
- All participants must be able to pass a pre-course test to be able to continue in the course.
- Must register by TBA
Participants must demonstrate they can do the following tasks:
- Swim 550 yards continuously, only using Front Crawl or Breaststroke
- Tread Water for 2 minutes without hands
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 9 ft. and retrieve a 10 lb. object
- Surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands on object, keeping face above the water